We always need more DNA samples for our genetic studies. DNA can be obtained from saliva, cheek swabs or blood. We prefer blood because it gives us better quality and quantity. If you would like to participate, please contact your vet to organize a blood collection and refer to the instructions below. Remember to fill out the sample form for each of the samples. Follow these instructions:
1. Dowload the sample form (link at the botton of this page). Fill out the form for each sample and send them by mail along with your samples to our laboratory.
2. Collect 3 ml of blood in a purple-capped EDTA-tube.
3. Label the tube with the following information: Dog’s registration name, registration number, breed and date of collection.
4. Invert the tube 8-10 times to prevent clotting.
5. If you are not able to send the sample immediately, store the sample in a refrigerator until shipping (e.g. a blood sample collected on Friday can be kept in a refrigerator over the weekend and shipped on Monday).
6. Ship to the address at the bottom of this page. Please let us know by email when to expect your sample (ranja.eklund(at)helsinki.fi). Note that the we do not reimburse shipping costs.
7. The delivery should not take more than two to three days. Also, schedule the shipment so that it will not arrive during a weekend or holiday period.
All personal information regarding the dog or the owner will be kept completely confidential. Results will be released only with the owner's consent.
Thank you for help!
Ranja Eklund/Lohi's research group
Biomedicum 1 Helsinki, room C514b